Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I Spoke Prematurely

Upon describing my symptoms to my beloved, and he being someone who has suffered much from his respiratory system, he diagnosed me as suffering from allergies. I'm not very familiar with allergies, so this was useful. A dose of loratidine (the generic version of Claritan) and I was doing much better. It does pay to have friends, and to share one's troubles with them.

I am really enjoying the weather. However, the cloudy overcast made sleep in today. I only woke up because my dreams were just getting silly and I was tired of them. Upon seeing how late in the morning it was, I trotted around the house briskly, pulling myself together. Later in the day, after having gone grocery shopping, which never fails to make me feel like an entirely plausible adult, I was seized with a strange "wrath," to turn on the oven and fill the house with warm savorous odors.

So I proceeded to spend a good chunk of the evening making delicious vegetarian casseroles, three entirely different ones, and I tossed a stray eggplant into a shallow dish and baked it to a pulp, just because it was there, and I fired up the glorious new convection toaster oven my excellent sister sent as a wedding present, and really did bake all the sweet potatoes it could hold in about 2/3 the time it would have taken otherwise. I'm not quite sure about what I will do with the eggplant, but a roasted vegetable is no variety of hardship. I may just heat it up and dress it with a dollop of yogurt and hot sauce. The sweet potatoes I will probably mash, and cover with some kind of sausage, vegetarian or meat, and eat as a very satisfying and simple dinner for a cool evening.

I am not so very much given to "emotional eating," but I am inclined to emotional cooking. Well really, any creative endevor will do, but the ones with a brutally practical result hold a particular satisfaction. Cooking is great, because everyone needs to eat, and after venting, I have a fridge full of delicious food, to eat myself or feed to others. Back in the day, I would have packed this into bento boxes to take to work for breakfast and lunch. Maybe for the whole week. Now, I can feed my beloved, and my roommates as well as myself. It all still lasts for about a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment