Thursday, July 30, 2009

Ho w Can I Keep From Singing?

So last week in the gruelling heat, I go to the movies at our downtown theater. This is the ONLY way to see movies-- at a small local theater. It was Tuesday, so all day all shows cost only six dollars. I bought a ticket for "Public Enemies" but that hardly matters, because I was standing in the blessedly cool lobby, just so happy to be there. The kind young man behind the refreshment counter is happy and patient with me as we closely discuss the lack of Good N' Plenty. Raisinets are there, but really, isn't *that* almost a breaking of federal law, or a risk of U.N. sanctions, to *not* have them? He draws a Coca-Cola Cherry for me, as I had not seen it as a fountain drink in an age. I confide that I have a bag of licorice honey drops in my pocket. He assures me he won't tell. I tell him--"You are a very silly young man in a way that speaks well of your character."

In the theater before the movie starts, I discover I have sat one row up from a delightful local community theater person of my acquaintance. After "Public Enemies" in which I am careful not to rattle the little paper bag the honey drops were in, she and I chat, and she tells me helpful information to pass on to a mutual friend of ours.

Living amid such people as these...

No comments:

Post a Comment