Monday, June 8, 2009

Louise Brooks?

Yes, the famous silent movie actress. In one of my historic-core-induced fits, I wandered into the always-delightful-and-erudite Metropolis Books, and accidentally picked up a copy of *Lulu In Hollywood*, an arresting account of the actress's life, the author's acquaintance with her, and then a collection of some of her essays on Hollywood as she knew it. I had it read before I got home that day--reading on the trains, the waiting rooms, the Nickel Diner and later the nummy vegan diner Flore in Silverlake. Good Lord the woman could *write*!-- And of course her material can't help but interest. I commend this to your attention. Miss Brooks had a very different take on W.C. Fields, and on Humphrey Bogart, than one usually meets.

No comments:

Post a Comment