Monday, June 22, 2009

Technology and Dreams

So the last time we were at the Magic Castle, we ended up closing the place so thoroughly that the kindly host Kurt walked out with us. Part of why we were so late was that we were chatting with a fellow member, who was showing us one of the more modern methods for doing close up levitations.

It was lovely in its design and I was entirely delighted by the effect. Having looked into both Steinmeyer and Tarbell, I had what could be some sense of what the technological advances were, being shown before me. (I can be described with no greater accuracy possible than as a "sophomore" when it comes to my understanding of magic.) From The Levitation of Princess Karnak to the ring floating before me was a journey. Even what Tarbell says about smaller levitations was said without the benefits of modern technologies improvements upon the elements involved in making the trick happen.

This is a small example of how technology can work really well, but I want to point it out. Yes, everything is connected, and there may be implications for the environment and world economy that I am not aware of in the improved materials, but unlike some other advances, this one serves only to increase wonder and delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment