Saturday, August 1, 2009

I Don't Quite Know What To Do With This...

So the beloved and I were down in the Historic Core one *evening* this week, which we had not done before. We met friends for dinner at the Nickel Diner, which has a perfectly delightful dinner menu we had not had much opportunity to sample.

We had a good time walking over there, me pointing out plenty of the interesting stuff. The beloved is a very kind and patient man who appreciates enthusiasms. (and my God, we walked part of the way on *Broadway!* Broadway!! And then we crossed Spring St! Spring!! And if that was not enough to prostrate me with excitement, we went by Sixth and Main! That means Cole's was to be treated of, and old trains, and French Dips, and--well you can imagine....)

We arrived a tad early, so I refreshed myself with a "lavender blossoms" soda, a beverage so twee as to make rabid fans of Victoria sentimentalia roll their eyes. I'm glad I tried it at least once. So our friends arrived and we ate and had a good time until late. We parted pleasantly, and the beloved and I went on our way.

Well who should we run into but someone I had not seen for close to a year! He was a roaming musician, possibly homeless, possibly afflicted with troubles. Back around my workplace we would visit occasionally. He had been on my mind for a while, so seeing him was good. It turned out he had suffered terrible physical damage in a dreadful accident since last we had talked. He asked after my health, and compassionated my difficulties. Mine were nothing compared to his. His graciousness awed me. Just about everyone we passed in the streets that night greeted us in the casual and easy manner of small towns

This all happened in the general part of town where the young girl was recently found murdered and the homeless man who allegedly killed her was arrested. "Terrible things happen everywhere" is a statement I can assent to intellectually, but that night I could not reconcile that this was the same place where I was walking around feeling safe enough, having a good time, and enjoying meeting people on the sidewalks.

Really, I don't know what to do with this....

(P.S. "compassionate" the verb is archaic, but really, I can't think of a more current usage that is any better.)

No comments:

Post a Comment