Sunday, August 9, 2009

Mutability

The physical changes of aging don't especially upset me. Neither does death or dying. What is pulling my heartstrings is seeing how my *unconsidered* sense of time and place is slipping away. The scent and texture of life lived in a specific historical moment. What details of the physical world have changed over the course of my life? How will they continue to do so? I suppose this can produce simultaneously a keen sense of poignancy over the gone past and a keen sense of interest in what is coming to displace the unconsidered present. What is coming to make Graco infant transport systems look as vintage as perambulators? What will candy wrappers be like in twenty years? What will candy be like? What about the future of bar soap?

This is a sort fun place to be balanced right now. And I'm not even fifty....

No comments:

Post a Comment