Friday, May 29, 2009

Hope for Bird's *Travels*

The nice lady who runs Metropolis Books down on Main (the other direction from the Nickel Diner, if you are standing at the corner of 5th and Main) has very kindly helped me look for a copy of Isabella Bird's *Travels in Persia and Kurdistan* that is complete. She sympathized with my trauma over the previous copy I had that ended with "Volume One." We also found a likely copy of Nellie Bly's account of recreating Verne's *Around the World in Eighty Days*. I believe she did it in something just over seventy. *And* we found some Mary Kingsley, so I am happy. Gawd I just LOVE a brick and mortar shop! As a wise and kind magicianne who works in one of the brick and mortar magic shops I like has observed--"the computer can't point you to what you don't know about; a live person can." So true, so true.

Will we find search engines narrowing our inquiries? What happens when you can't just graze the library bookshelves, or chat with adepts or crazies?

No comments:

Post a Comment